Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Engaging Students With Concept Mapping

1. What impact might the use of Concept mapping software have on students learning within your classroom? Give two or three specific examples.

Students and educators can use concept mapping to think, brainstorm, organize, analyze and write. This software can inspire students to study and learn successfully. Cool things with this is that you can change from pictures to a written outline form. One activity that you could do with students to be creative in their learning is word sorts online. You can have students organize words and pictures into vowel sound categories. Another activity you can do is a family tree on line showing with two way and one way arrows if needed representing connections. A third activity could be to do a brainstorming map online before writing a paper. It can be a fun creative way to have them prepare to write a story.

2. Discuss the amount of time it would take to learn this type of application to the point where you would feel comfortable integrating it in your classroom. Do you think it would be worth the time?

Honestly, it may take me a week to really get a grasp of all the aspects to the point where I feel comfortable using it in class. I think it depends on what grade level I am teaching if it will be worth it to have spent that time. If I can use it often in 5-6th grade class room than it would be wonderful to use in multiple interactions with students. My only hesitancy is I would not be able to use this program often enough with k-3rd to really get any benefit out of the time spent. Most classrooms I have been in for younger elementary classrooms do not have computers, nor do I really want them to be stuck at a computer. I would rather the students do large concept maps with markers, paper, cut-outs, etc. I think it would be fun to use every so often but not something I want to implement use everyday or every week.

Here is an example of a concept map.

No comments: