Thursday, August 28, 2008

Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom

1. There are many types of multiple intelligences but I scored the highest, with a 90 in both Kinesthetic and Intrapersonal. The core characteristics of kinesthetic intelligence is that the person is task oriented by doing, demonstrates well-developed motor skills, responds quickly to a physical stimulus, expresses both feelings and ideas through their body movements, shows balance, flexibility and agility, and takes in information through bodily sensations. Intrapersonal core characteristics include: an affective awareness where the student knows his or her own feelings, an ethical awareness of what are their principles and moral standards, self-regulation of their thoughts, behaviors, and actions, and an awareness of their own thought processes. the core characteristic that I most agree with from the kinesthetic intelligence is the reflexive quality. I do tend to respond quickly to an physical stimulus. The core characteristic from the intrapersonal intelligence I most commonly associate myself with is my ethical awareness. I do know what my moral priorities are and what principles I stand for and against.

2. Students who are kinesthetic demonstrate strong fine and gross motor ability, seek to interact with their environment, and tend to be mistaken for hyperactive children. These students enjoy hands-on activities, games, and activity learning tasks. In the classroom it is better for them to be in learning centers than seat work and are highly capable of manipulating materials. Also they were more focused on hands-on activities if it is an extended period of time. Students who are intrapersonal are comfortable with who they are and express strong likes and dislikes of activities. They are good at communicating their emotions and know their own strengths and weakness. These students make good choices and set realistic goals. They are confident in their instincts, sense of justice and fairness, and ability to relate to others.

3.There are many ways to support a kinesthetic learner in the classroom setting. A teacher should incorporate creative drama into his or her instruction and include interactive games in reviewing and remediating content. Teachers should be providing hands-on learning centers and offering experiences in movement to rhythm and music. In science teachers need to engage students in hands-on experiments and in math they need to utilize manipulatives. Teachers should allow opportunities for building and taking apart, as well as encouraging students to construct physical representations of concepts. The most important way to help this style of leaning it to keep students physically moving throughout the school day. For intrapersonal students it is vital for a teacher to use differentiating instruction. Allowing choices and making comparisons will help these students learn. If I allow times to journal and times for students to reflect I will be helping support these children's learning style. It is important that I allow students to set goals and express their feelings on a topic.

4. For kinesthetics learners there are many tools that support this learning. They enjoy technologies like inclined planes, pulleys, wedges, construction tools, kitchen utensils, screws, levers, wheel and axles, and physical education equipment. They also are encouraged through manipulative materials, joysticks, simulations that require eye-hand coordination, digital probes, and assistive technologies. Technologies that support intrapersonal learners include diaries, journals, and surveys of any type. These students also like learning centers, real time projects, class discussion, voting machines, and children's literature. Also they thrive in digital portfolios and self assessments.

5. I think as I am aware of multiple intelligences I will become a teacher whom is more aware and in-tune with her students. I will not only be able to incorporate many different ways to encourage all styles but I will also understand the preconceived notions about education I have because of my learning style. I think it will help me teach. I know it will aid me in my understanding of my students. Also I think it will help me in conference with parents to show them I am focused on improving their child.

No comments: